Pages

When you make a conscious choice to be happy, no one can take it away from you because no one gave it to you: you gave it to yourself.

A quote from April Green's - Bloom For Yourself Journal

Thursday 7 June 2012

Colouring meets Smash*

You may have noticed that I do love to colour and as of recent I love all things Smash*, so what better than to combine the 2!

I've wanted to create a colouring reference, in fact I've done so many before but then lost them or whatever, so I decided to dedicate some space in my lush Smash journal to exactly that. Over the last few days (even during the Jubilee, those eagle eyed WOYWWers would've seen) I've coloured the same character a number of times but with different combinations of Copics. Trying out different combos for hair and skin tones. Some I like better, some I know I won't use again, but it's a reference point! Once I'd coloured 6 I smashed them!  I stuck them in my blue Smash journal and wrote down the pen numbers. Scribbling little notes to myself too.




As you can see I used Boobie digital stamp, a freebie from the lovely Krista over at Saturated Canary.  I didn't really plan what I was going to do I just looked at my newly coloured Copics chart and saw what looked like colours that would go together. I concentrated more on the hair and skin rather than the clothes. But to be honest this exercise wasn't about getting my colouring perfect it was about trying out colours to see what I liked.

I think by using the same character it's easier to see what works and what doesn't - some of the skin tones are too orange, though on the photos they don't actually look too bad! I love the 4 shades of hair - blond, mid brown, dark and auburn/reddish brown. I had a funny five minutes and decided to do blue and pink hair too, not sure why, I just fancied doing so!

I can see me doing this again, maybe with my favourite characters - filling a page with a random selection of coloured images. Definitely good fun and a perfect way to forget about the pain and uselessness I'm feeling at present.

Anyway thought I'd share it with you all, feel free to ask about any of it, happy to share what I did if it helps anyone. But then I'm no expert!

Take care Zo xx



13 comments:

Sue said...

WOW!! Your colouring is stunning. I love the different hair colours - especially the blue one!!

Sue

McCrafty's Cards said...

Fabulous Zoe, doesn't she look gorgeous in all the different colours
Kevin xx

emma mitchell said...

I love your colour combos ,I especially love your blonde hair colour combo. I think this is a fab way to remember and see what colours work ,Love them all .
Hugs Emma xx

SandeeNC said...

Well it's exercises like this that you waaaaaaaay above me. I simply wouldn't take the time and effort to do this for myself. You are awesome! Seriously, I am the laziest artist around, lol waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Ann B said...

Clever idea to use the same image, really gives a good comparison and skin colour is not the same on everyone - goes with the hair.
Ann
xx

Yani said...

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

Emma Williams said...

Gorgeous colouring, you are GOOD and I'm envious!! A fab and clever use of Smash* too...LOVE it!!
Hope you're ok hun...
Love and hugs, Emma xxx

trisha too said...

Zo. Your coloring is amazing. (I am totally coloring challenged, and pretty much gave over my small set of copics to my daughter, who promptly learned to use them correctly.)

Great idea for the organizing, and seriously, I am very impressed!

:)trisha
#156

Daly said...

Love it!! You are veey talented!!

maisiejay said...

Hi, first time visiting your blog. Very impressed with the idea of colouring the same pic using different shades. Great reference point for looking at later.

Wendy Fraser said...

What a brilliant idea and it looks great too. xx

Seahorse Ranch Girl said...

You left such a sweet comment on my WOYWW this week. I wish I could give you a hug, even though we've just met. :) Your color chart is a creative way to keep track of Copics. Terrific idea. See you next week. Charlotte #125

Lisa said...

Lovet his idea, I'm going to have to copy it! I love how your whites are SO white...I've not seen a lot of this from other artists. You're very inspiring, thank you for that.