Pages

When you make a conscious choice to be happy, no one can take it away from you because no one gave it to you: you gave it to yourself.

A quote from April Green's - Bloom For Yourself Journal

Monday 12 November 2012

Remember - Crafty Boots challenge


Good morning everyone, it's a really wet horrible grey day here in Somerset, but at least it gives me an excuse to stay in and craft!

Anyway over at Crafty Boots Challenge Blog a new challenge is launching today and the theme was picked by the lovely Bev, who chose REMEMBER. A very appropriate theme considering it was Remembrance Sunday yesterday.

So we want to see your cards, tags, art, journals, whatever you choose as long as it has the theme of Remember.

Right my DT project is a little different perhaps, but very personal to me - 
 You'll have to click on the pictures if you want to read the details.




This memory/family history page relates to my 2nd cousin 2x removed.  My 3x great grand father is Joseph Edwin's great grandfather. I found out about him through my family history research. I started searching maybe 8 years ago and spent 4 years of none stop research, I even volunteered and transcribed part of the 1861 census for an on-line project. To date this is my only relation who died during the first world war, Joseph died while fighting as a Bombardier with the Royal Garrison Artillery.  I felt the theme of Remember was a perfect opportunity for me to do something with my research instead of keeping it in a file.  I do plan to create more pages with the information I have, and believe me, I have so much!

The poppies are Sheena Douglas's Paint Fusion stamps which I stamped using Distress inks onto watercolour card.  They are coloured using the inks, after they had dried I did use my Copic markers to define the lines.

I kept it simple - a relationship chart to show how we are related along with the details I gained from the CWGC who have information relating to service. 

I hope you find this interesting and that you'll join our challenge this fortnight.

Take care Zo xx

10 comments:

Dee's Craft Room said...

I love this page Zoe.

I have spent many years researching my family tree and I have even made a scrapbook of my less distant ancestors, so I can really appreciate the significant of this.

Your page looks stunning, the red and black work really well, and the poppies are the perfect touch.

Dionne xxx

Di said...

A beautiful make Zo, and a fitting tribute. I've read lots of blog postings this weekend referring to Remembrance Day and yours moved me the most.

A few years ago we visited Changi Jail in Singapore where they now have a 2nd World War museum and I just wept - I had two uncles in there, thankfully they survived but I doubt they were never the same again.

Hugs, Di xx

Gabrielle said...

Gosh! What a clever idea and so inspiring to see how names on a memorial are more than just a carving. Fabulous idea and something to treasure too...

Bev said...

This is just such a lovely way to capture all that wonderful information about your family. A great way to make it come alive. Super!!

Helen said...

What a lovely project. My Mum spent some time researching family history, it is so interesting. Love your page.

emma mitchell said...

Oh wow Zoe I love this interesting and amazing creation . Your poppies look stunning too
Hugs Emma

Elizabeth said...

This is brilliant, Zo. A lovely way to remember your cousin. I have information on my two great-uncles who died in WWII and because I haven't got a photo of either I have debated on how put together a layout for them. I do have a photo of the graveyard in Hong Kong for one and, as the other was a submariner, the ship and memorial in Plymouth for the other so I could do something along similar lines to this one of yours. I really like your layout. Elizabeth xx

Stephie Boots said...

I can see you and Dionne will have lots to talk about on Saturday!!!

This is a beautiful creation and really lovely piece to add to your scrapbook! xxx

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Zo and as a fellow Ancestry person I can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this piece. This is a wonderful way of remembering our ancestors even if we do not have photos available.
Hugs
xx

Cardarian said...

I hope you enjoy your trip to the crafty meet up! It was a good time we spent together and I hope there will be more occasions in the future! Hope your health is improving!
Lots of hugs,
Cardarian